
My sister, Rachel, took me into the doctor the next day, where he happened to tell me "Well, this looks like you may need surgery. And don't worry, the only risks are infection in the pins, and-well that is pretty much it. But that rarely happens, so I am not worried." Again, the tears came rolling down my cheeks! Surgery, for my pinky?? This seemed pointless and asking for a lot of pain. Rachel came over and I cried on her shoulder, what a great sister, I know! That weekend I went home and came back with my mom the following Monday, for my beloved surgery. We stopped by my apartment so I could check the mail, just in case. Low and behold!! I had a letter from CODY!!! In the letter he told me to listen to a song that was on his mind as he wrote the letter-"I'll Stand By You" the Carrie Wood version. I listened to it the whole way over. Then I went inside and prepped myself for the surgery.

As they were rolling me back I heard the Anesthesiologist say, "Better start to think of something good to dream about because you are almost there." Next thing I heard was him saying, "So did you dream about CODY JARDINE??" "Oh no! I thought, I know I sleep talk during the night, but I did during the surgery also??" Then I remembered the rest of the conversation with him before I went down. After he told me to start to think of happy thoughts, I shouted "Cody Jardine!" With extreme enthusiasm. I must say I had a good dream too! I woke up very happy!
I didn't deal too well with the pain, so I was in the recovery room for at least 3 hours after, but still drugged up and dreaming wonderful dreams! One time, I could swear Cody was standing next to me holding my hand, but then I woke up and look over and I had my hand stretched out, but no one was there holding it. (My mom happened to catch this on camera-nasty picture of me, but whater!) The next week I had received a letter from Cody, which he had wrote the day of my surgery and he said something like-just pretend I am there holding your hand and it will feel better. (Crazy!! I like to think he was writing that when I had that little dream/feeling ?? Call me crazy-but. .)
Then finally, the medicine kicked in enough that I was feeling good enough that we went back to Rachel's house, and then to my apartment after I was somewhat normal. They had given me Vicadine for the pain, but it made me horribly sick. They tried to get me another prescription, but my insurance was extremely stupid and said I didn't need another pain killer already. Finally I got it a few days later and it helped, a lot!
A couple weeks later my sister, MIchelle, my mom, and I went to Idaho Falls/Rexburg just for the heck of it. While we were there-one of the pins became infected!! Great! My doctor happened to be out of town, so I had to go to someone different. When he looked at it, he told me the pin had to be removed, and he could do it then if I wanted. I was terrified! This was something to mentally prepare for, not just spur of the moment, "Okay! Sure, you can pull the pin out of my bone-with NO pain medicine or numbing anything!" I don't think so! He kept reminding me that he had a little 2 year old in that morning who just had a pin removed and she didn't throwing a fit like I was. Well doctor-hate to inform you-BUT that little two year old didn't know what you were going to do to her! Long story short. . I came back the next morning and got it removed. No tears.
I came back a couple weeks later to get the other pin removed, and my pinky was the size of my thumb. . .times 3!! It was HUGE!! Due to the swelling, my pin sunk underneath my skin. The doctor had to cut open my hand and dig around to find the pin, then pull it out. Thankfully, he used numbing medicine this time so I couldn't feel the pain, just the incision and the stitches after he pulled it out.
I am currently doing Physical Therapy, and have quite a bit of motion back in it, but I still have a LONG ways to go. So all of this for a football game, which we lost?? Oh well! It was fun at the moment, and it makes a great story!

(Dang! I am very good at posting NASY pictures of myself aren't I?? Haha oh well, whater! I just had to show myself at work with BOTH hands!! . . making beads!! :) )



I love this post!!! You are amazing baby Fennell come visit me at BYU-I tons ok?? Muah!
ReplyDeleteLove the blog, Mel. Glad your hand is more functional now. :) Miss ya!
ReplyDeleteGlad your pinky is back up to par! Too bad I still have a crippled one!! :( I miss you! I hope you have fun this weekend with the girls
ReplyDelete